A growing number of Massachusetts residents live with Alzheimer’s disease or a related disorder. These conditions bring many challenges.
Social stigma and lack of public awareness can make life more difficult for both those living with dementia and the people who care about them.
However, it is a hopeful time – a time for change. The Dementia Friendly Massachusetts Initiative (DMFI) is a whole-community response inviting you to join in creating dementia friendly communities. Dementia friendly communities are safe, informed, and respectful and engage all members of the community to meet the needs of the growing number of people living with dementia to remain part of the fabric of our vibrant community life.
The Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, JF&CS, and many partner organizations convened DFMI in May 2016 to provide statewide support and coordination for the efforts to help our communities better include and support individuals living with dementia and their family members, friends, and professional caregivers. DFMI aims to link communities, businesses, and organizations across Massachusetts to tools, resources, and best practices.
- Support and accelerate the creation and expansion of dementia friendly systems and grassroots programs across Massachusetts.
- Ensure that diverse stakeholders are engaged and that benefits reach varied geographic and cultural communities.
- Support the integration of age friendly and dementia friendly efforts.
Our approaches include developing learning communities [link to learning community document], and distributing the DFMI Connector newsletter.
The DFMI Management Committee includes the following organizations:
- Executive Office of Elder Affairs
- Alzheimer’s Association Massachusetts/New Hampshire Chapter
- LeadingAge Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Association of Councils on Aging
- Multicultural Coalition on Aging
The Dementia Friendly Massachusetts Initiative is also guided by a quarterly advisory group representing more than 40 organizations from geographic and cultural communities across Massachusetts. The Dementia Friendly Massachusetts Initiative is a member of the national Dementia Friendly America network.
Join us! Everyone has a role to play in helping Massachusetts communities better include and support individuals living with dementia, their family, and friends. Start an initiative, join a learning community, or join the DFMI email list to receive updates and resources.
- Dementia Friendly Massachusetts Quick Summary
- Dementia Friendly Massachusetts Leadership Summit – Summary Report [PDF]
- Dementia Friendly Massachusetts Initiative – Statement of Values [PDF]
- Video produced by the Alzheimer’s Association of Minnesota-North Dakota that in 7 minutes illustrates the power and potential of the dementia friendly community movement: Dementia Friendly Minnesota – Alzheimer’s Association Purple Gala 2016.
- Report from AARP and Dementia Friendly America on integrating age friendly and dementia friendly initiatives
- Dementia Friendly America Toolkit
- Dementia Friendly America Sector Guides
The quarterly Dementia Friendly Massachusetts Initiative newsletter
For more information, please contact Beth Soltzberg, Director, JF&CS Alzheimer’s/Related Disorders Family Support, at email@example.com or 781-693-5628.